Hot Isostatic Pressing (HIP or HIPing) is used to reduce the porosity of metals and increase the density of materials, crucial for 3D printed materials. The HIP process subjects a component to both elevated temperature and isostatic gas pressure in a high pressure containment vessel.
HIPing is now NADCAP certified!!
Advantages of using HIPing
- Elimination of internal defects gives elimination of stress concentrations and crack initiation points
- Superior material properties
- Drastically increased fatigue life 10 – 100x
- Increased ductility and fracture toughness
- Reduced property scatter
- More predictive material properties
- Low weight design
- Improved machined/polished surface quality
- Increased corrosion, optical, sealing and esthetic properties
- Scrap rate reduction
- Strength is mainly determined by microstructure, not defects!